Every year, thousands of crashes occur between passenger vehicles and semi trucks that could have easily been avoided. Studies show that cars are at fault in a majority of truck-car accidents.
Here are 9 tips (plus a bonus) from Driver Solutions for sharing the road with semi trucks.
1. Avoid blind spots.
2. Pass trucks with caution.
3. Don’t linger near the truck.
4. Don’t cut trucks off, it takes longer for them to stop.
5. Allow space between trailer and curb.
6. Try to be predictable, avoid making erratic moves.
7. Lower your brights.
8. Signal sooner.
9. Merge carefully.
Bonus Tip: Pay attention, don’t drive distracted.
While many of these seem like common sense, anyone who’s driven professionally knows that it’s far from reality. Not following these rules, however, leads to thousands of crashes every year that could have been avoided.
Remember, big trucks aren’t getting any smaller — so pay attention and drive safely, it could safe your life.